Connect: Luke 2
- Who was “Quirinius” (Luke 2:2)? Why would Quirinius lead military campaigns in Cilicia from Syria? Who were the resident Roman governors of Syria during this period? Where does Quirinius fit in?
- Did Joseph have Mary ride on a donkey? Why is Bethlehem called “the town of David” (Luke 2:4)? Where are “Galilee” and “Nazareth” (Luke 2:4)?
- Where was the “guest room” (Luke 2:7) that had no space for them? Did Mary give birth immediately after arriving in Bethlehem? What are “swaddling cloths” and “manger” (Luke 2:7)? What does Mary giving birth to her “firstborn” (Luke 2:7) Son indicate?
- Why make this introduction to shepherds? Does the angel introduce Jesus as the “Lamb of God”?
- When was “circumcision” (Luke 2:21) performed on Jesus? Why was circumcision performed on Jesus then? What is the significance of the circumcision of Jesus? How do boys heal from the wounds of circumcision? When do levels of vitamin K and prothrombin peak during a man’s life? When was this medical discovery made? What does the name “Jesus” (Luke 2:21) mean?
- How do you feel about the reactions of Simeon and Anna to baby Jesus? Does this validate your faith more?
- Reading that Jesus was a child leading in the temple, how does this make you view the understanding of children? Should we look down on those who are young in age but great in faith?